Date: March 15, 2001
To: Board of Regents
From: Jane A. Karas, Vice-President
Flathead Valley Community College
RE: Campus Report for the March 22, 2001 Board of Regents Meeting
· The Flathead Valley Community College Foundation announced that FVCC students Zachary John Smelker and Nathan P. Faulconer have each been awarded the Michael John Laabs Scholarship, funded by Art Ortenberg and Liz Claiborne in memory of Mike Laabs.
· The Service Learning program at FVCC is offering junior high age youth the opportunity to attend Youth Leadership Camp on the FVCC campus during spring break. There is no charge for this camp and it is sponsored by FVCC, local businesses and individual volunteers in partnership with volunteers from the FVCC Service Learning program.
· FVCC Art Instructor, John Rawlings, and two of his students won the Whitefish Carnival’s Snow Sculpting Contest with their “Big Fish” sculpture. They won an all expenses paid trip to the National Snow Sculpting Contest.
· FVCC dedicated the Interstate Workforce Training Lab on February 6th. The lab was made a reality with a contribution of $25,000 to the major gifts campaign, “Connecting to the Community’s Future,” by the First Interstate BancSystem Foundation, and allows FVCC to better meet the workforce training needs of local businesses.
· FVCC has applied to use the $250,000 award from the U.S. Department of Education to provide professional development to rural community college and tribal college faculty in developing on-line courses.