ITEM 112-2011-R0901 ATTACHMENT
Division Of Agricultural Education/Agricultural
Operations Technology In The Department Of Entomology Montana State University-Bozeman
1. Briefly describe the proposed new program. Please indicate if it is an expansion of an existing program; a new program; a cooperative effort with another institution, business or industry; or an on-campus or off campus program. Attach any formal agreements established for cooperative efforts.
This proposal is for naming the Agricultural Education and Agricultural Operations Technology (AgEd/AOT) academic unit the Division of Agricultural Education and Agricultural Operations Technology in the Department of Entomology. The transfer of this academic unit from the College of Education, Health and Human Development to the College of Agriculture occurred in January 2001. This request does not involve the addition of any new faculty, staff or support personnel or the creation, deletion or change of any new academic programs.
Currently, the AgEd/AOT program consists of three tenure-track faculty and one adjunct FTE. The AgEd/AOT academic programs are designed to prepare and support individuals desiring to engage in the profession of agricultural education (K-adult), build awareness, and develop leadership and teaching skills for the food, fiber and natural resource system of Montana and the region.
2. Summarize a needs assessment conducted to justify the proposal. Please include how the assessment plan was developed or executed and the data derived from this effort.
In 1993, the academic programs of Agricultural Education and Agricultural Operations Technology (AgEd/AOT) were moved from the College of Agriculture to the College of Education, Health and Human Development. A focus group, comprised of college administrators, faculty, and stakeholders, was formed in March 2000 to examine the Agricultural Education and Agricultural Operations Technology academic programs and services, and determine if they are best serving the needs of students, faculty and the state under the current arrangement (i.e., housed in the College of EHHD). The focus group, made a strong recommendation that the AgEd/AOT be moved back into the College of Agriculture.
A recommendation was proposed by the College of Agriculture Dean and Director that AgEd/AOT faculty and academic programs become a division within the Department of Entomology. Establishing a division within the department was based on several commonalities that exist between the two groups: Faculty within Entomology have partnered with AgEd faculty and agricultural educators in the state through various programs (Ag in Montana Schools, school IPM programs), and work extensively with extension agents and state and federal agencies (NRCS, FSA, Montana Department of Agriculture) many of whom are AgEd graduates. Prior to this proposal, AgEd participated with the Department of Entomology in the development of a distance delivery graduate program focusing on agricultural and natural resource management and many AgEd undergraduate students fulfill their core class requirements by taking entomology core classes.
3. Explain how the program relates to the Role and Scope of the Institution as established by the Board of Regents.
Not applicable as this is not a new program
4. Please state what effect, if any, the proposed program will have on the administrative structure of the institution. Also indicate the potential involvement of other departments, divisions, colleges, or schools.
The proposed change will not have an affect on the administrative structure of the institution. The number of departments in the College of Agriculture will remain the same. This request will result in a more efficient administrative operation for AgEd/AOT faculty and students. The potential involvement and interaction of other academic and research departments with AgEd/AOT will be greatly enhanced.
5. Describe the extent to which similar programs are offered in Montana, the Pacific Northwest, and states bordering Montana. How similar are these programs to the one herein proposed?
6. Please name any accrediting agency(ies) or learned society(ies) that would be concerned with the particular program herein proposed. How has this program been developed in accordance with the criteria developed by said accrediting body(ies) or learned society(ies)?
The proposed reorganization would have no bearing upon the accreditation status of the AgEd/AOT undergraduate or graduate programs.
7. Prepare an outline of the proposed curriculum showing course titles and credits. Please include any plans for expansion of the program during its first three years.
No changes in the curriculum are proposed, and expansion of the program will depend on increases in enrollment and resources.
1. Please indicate, by name and rank, current faculty who will be involved with the program proposed herein. Please project the need for new faculty over the first five-year program. Include special qualifications or training. If present faculty are to conduct the new program, please explain how they will be relieved from present duties.
The current faculty who teach AgEd/AOT will continue in their present duties. They are as follows:
Van Shelhamer (Professor AgEd)
Martin Frick (Associate Professor AgEd)
AOT Assistant Professor Vacant (Interviewing 8-01)
2. Please explain the need and cost for support personnel or other required personnel expenditures.
No new faculty positions will be created as this is a transfer of existing faculty and positions. No additional support personnel expenditures are involved in this proposal.
CAPITAL OUTLAY, OPERATING EXPENDITURES, AND PHYSICAL FACILITIES
1. Please summarize operating expenditure needs.
No additional operating expenses are needed.
2. Please evaluate library resources. Are they adequate for operation of the proposed program? If not, how will the library need to be strengthened during the next three years?
Current resources are adequate.
3. Please indicate special clinical, laboratory, and/or computer equipment that will be needed. List those pieces of equipment or computer hardware presently available in the department.
4. Please describe facilities and space required for the proposed program. Are current facilities adequate for the program? If not, how does the institution propose to provide new facilities.
No additional facilities will be required for this reorganization.
EVALUATION OF PROPOSED PROGRAM
1. Please name faculty committees or councils that have reviewed and approved the program herein proposed.
A faculty and stakeholder focus group appointed by the deans met and suggested that the AgEd/AOT program be returned to the College of Agriculture. The dean of the College of Agriculture, after discussions with faculty, recommended that the AgEd/AOT faculty be moved into the Department of Entomology for administrative purposes and become a division within the department.
2. If outside consultants have been employed, please list the names of these consultants, their current positions, and titles. Append copies of their written reports (this is required of new doctoral programs).
On this form, indicate the planned FTE enrollment, estimated expenditures, and projected revenues for the first three years of the program. Include both the reallocation of existing resources and anticipated or requested new resources. Second and third year estimates should be in constant dollars.
No additional costs are associated with this proposal.