May 18-20, 2005
ITEM 127-109-R0505 Academic Program Planning; New Policy
THAT: The Board of Regents of Higher Education approves the attached new policy concerning academic program planning. The proposed policy:
(1) requires the campuses that make up the Montana University System, and the three (3) community colleges, to disclose their academic program plans, over a three-year period, to the Board;
(2) asks those institutions to identify the priority programs that may be brought to the Board in the next year;
(3) creates an incentive to insure that the institutions disclose their academic program plans as completely as possible.
EXPLANATION: Under the current situation, the Board of Regents first learns about new academic programs when they come to the Board as Level I or Level II items.
In order to assist in the review and approval process, this policy createsa mechanism that should give the Board advanced notice of program development plans, so the Regents can:
· consider the program in the context of the entire System;
· encourage collaboration and cooperation in the delivery of academic programs;
· ask questions about the appropriate institution to develop the program, especially if it appears on the list of more than one campus;
· look at the long-range implications of academic program development, instead of reviewing each program request in isolation, which is the current practice.
ATTACHMENT: Proposed Policy