Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education-
Policies and Procedures Manual
SUBJECT: ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
Policy: 3XXX – Academic Program Planning
Since the Montana Board of Regents must approve all new program offerings in the Montana University System, it is important that the Regents have as much information as possible concerning those new offerings. The Board should have prior notice of the academic programs being developed by the campuses; and it should also encourage collaboration and cooperation in the delivery of academic programs, whenever that seems appropriate to the System.
1. The institutions that make up the Montana University System, and the three (3) community colleges, shall report their academic program plans to the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education. That information shall include:
- all new majors, minors, options and certificates that may be proposed by the above-described institutions during the next three-year period;
- identification of those majors, minors, options and certificates that are a priority to the institutions, and may be submitted to the Board of Regents for its notice, review and approval in the next year.
- plans to offer new or existing majors, minors, options and certificates in a distance delivery format, or at locations away from the home campus.
2. If any institution governed by this policy submits a program, under the Level I and Level II process, for Board review or approval that is not reported under this policy, that program may not be authorized for that reason alone, regardless of the merits of the program.
3. The Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education shall maintain a list of academic program plans, in an electronic format, on the Academic and Student Affairs website.