May 18 - 20, 2005
ITEM 127-112-R0505 Appeal Procedures for Transfer Credits
THAT: The Board of Regents of Higher Education approves the following changes to Policy 301.5:
(1) addition of a new section that establishes an appeals procedure at each of the institutions of the Montana University System, and the three (3) community colleges; that procedure is as uniform as possible, given the variations in structure and size among the institutions described in the preceding sentence.
EXPLANATION: At its March, 2005 meeting, the Montana Board of Regents asked that such an appeals process be developed.
The proposed process:
· utilizes the existing academic structure and hierarchy on each campus;
· specifies that the appropriate academic supervisors in that hierarchy review transfer decisions concerning program requirements;
· places the responsibility for review of decisions concerning campus-wide general education requirements and elective credits with a faculty committee;
· identifies the chief academic officer on each campus as the final decision-maker in all transfer credit reviews;
· establishes appropriate notice and timeline safeguards.
The appeal procedures will be in place on all of the campuses of the Montana University System by the beginning of Fall Semester 2005.