RESTRUCTURING REVIEW FOLLOW-UP ACTIONS: June 2002 Update
1. (ALL) Focus on making existing structure behave as if it were a single-Leader organization. (No revisit of “single-chancellor” issue now)
2. Commissioner will address/resolve the Policy Committee issue. Also, the “Table Arrangement” issue.
3. Commissioner will continue to monitor/manage the chancellor-president-Commissioner relationship.
· Commissioner continues to work with Presidents and Chancellors on issues of communication and collaboration.
Personnel objectives for senior administrators will address restructuring issues. DONE
4. (OCHE) Evaluate the current funding formula, AND options; within the larger issue of enrollment-driven funding, including behavior incentives for affecting change.
· Policy Committee will address funding formula at its August retreat. DONE
· BoR met 4/24 to evaluate models and optios, deferred selecting a consultant (to evaluate current formula and impact of changes made in it over the last few years) until they reconvene.
5. (Policy Committee) Develop a constituency and building strategy. (including a communications strategy).
Presidents are seeking funding from Foundations for a Friends of the university system organization that would assist in communications.DONE
· Need to establish clear expectations for campus CEOs and Commissioner about constituency building and reflect those expectations in personnel goals and objectives. DONE
· BoR adopted & funded communication plan –Jan 02
6. In discussion with CAO's…(JAS) Establish an accountability monitoring mechanism re. Time-to-degree, student advising, retention,
· CAO's agree on policies for advising and degree checks.
· Retention model under design for implementation under data warehouse.
Policy Committee Retreat will includeaccountability reporting on its agenda. DONE
Proposed working with the Legis Interim Comm on Education on accountabilityDONE.
· Fine-tuning Data Warehouse for use in accounta-bility (IN PROCESS)
· DBA hired effective 7-1-02
7. In discussion with CAO's…(JAS) Revisit and update Phase II direction re. Developmental education.
· Joyce Scott work w CAO’s in reconsideration of Phase II direction and policy on remedial and developmental education.
· Report to BOR in November of 2001.
· Exploring solutions with technology and software in cooperation with Billings CoT. (ACT Ctr open 2/28/02)
· Plan reports on student progress, numbers involved, methods of remediation and results.
· Discuss MUS Virtual U for on-line remediation via PLATO IN PROCESS
8. (JAS) Promote & monitor development of relationships with Tribal Colleges.
· Report on MUS/Tribal College agreements. DONE
· MUS draft Dual Admissions agreement to CAO's and SAO's.DONE
· Add Tribal Colleges to Inventory of academic degrees and programs. (Assigned to ESwaney)
· Update Tribal College GenEd transfer core-Ellen
9. Establish more explicit guidelines to govern the administrative, financial, and academic relationships among the campuses of each university (possible use of Memorandum of Understanding).
· Commissioner work with Policy Committee to recommend location of management & governance responsibilities with report in Jan 02.
· Information collected Fall 01
Commissioner recommends not pursuing MoU between and among the campuses.DONE
· Recommendation under development
10. Renewed emphasis on collaboration and shared resources.
Commissioner will direct Presidents and Chancellors to ensure academic leaders at campusl, college, and department levels are held accountable for fostering collab +resource sharing within and among campusesDONE.
· New initiatives Spring 2002 include
-Tech Prep Task Force
-Career Services Study Group
-Simultaneous Registration Task Force
-Financial Aid Customer Service Discussion
-MUS E-core for general education
Incorporated into CEOs’ perf objectives. DONE
· Banner interface project with Legis Fiscal and Audit divisions and 2 universities IN PROCESS
· GASB 34-35 implementation
11. Use expectations about goals of restructuring to evaluate senior institutional leaders on the campuses.
· To be incorporated into goal and objective setting for 2001-2002 (DONE).
12. Explore mechanisms for a more “inclusive” approach to seeking advice from affiliate campuses.
· Ongoing; changes in Policy Committee. DONE
· BoR meeting format adds CEO discussion 7/02
13. Office of the Commission should play the role of “neutral reviewer” of program proposals.
· This is one of the roles the OCHE already plays in consideration of new proposals.DONE
14. Gain productivity improvements and cost savings through the fullest possible integration of administrative services and data systems, with special reference to statewide library system.
· Commissioner will establish a library vision committee DONE to
present a vision to the Board by Nov. 2001and submit plan for an integrated library system by July 2002. DELAYED
· Rod Sundsted will meet with fiscal officers to consider other areas of productivity improvements and cost savings through integration of administrative services.
· New efforts Spring 2002 in career service, simultaneous registration, E-core for General Education.
· Continued development of data warehouse.
· Produced Management Report templates DONE.
· Initial MGT Reports – July 02
Gain productivity improvements & cost savings (con’t)
· Integrated implementation of GASB 34/35 across MUS
· Collaboration (MUS campuses and state agencies) on Facility Condition Inventory (FCI) use and enhancement
· MUS system wide contract and integration of Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) reporting
15. Increased attention and priority to two-year education.
· Dr. Mingle commended the Regents on singular progress in this area.
· The 2-year Education Committee initiatives:
Continuous registration policy for transfers-done
-Updated 30-hr GenEd transfer coreDONE
-Degree check policy-done
-Include all Tribal Colleges in 30-hr GenEd transfer core-assigned to ESwaney Sp02
· Current emphasis on Dual Admissions Agreements ((draft Done & Circulated), Transfer agreements, course articulation (In process), and 30-hour general ed core (MUS+CC’s complete).
Full plan of work for 2-year CommitteeDONE and priorities set.
· Formal transfer study underway.
· Study designed, BoR and CAO review Jan. 02
· Transfer audit underway, slowed by campus data coding problems in Dec 2001
· New faculty training/orientation for CC & CoT via Perkins funding-ONGOING
· Tech Prep Artic Task Force underway 1-18-02
· Transfer Project 2002 Steering Committee appointed 3-4-02; met 4-19.
· Two-Year Task Force planning underway
· 04-05 Biennial Budget requests to continue funding 2-year tuition differential
· PRESIDENT & COMMISSIONER SELECTION
(JAS) Policy 205.1: reverse wording as noted on hard copy.
17. (Dick) Develop a Commissioner selection Policy:
· Policy recommendations to Board of Regents for September 2001 meetingDONE
Using AGB guidelines (?)
2) Make it clear that this is a BoR decision.
3) Assure implementation of campus diversity reports and publication of annual status report.
· STEP I with Jan 01 Diversity AnalysisDONE.
· 2nd report in July,items on regular cycleDONE.
Recommend annual reports to Board rather than semi-annuallyDONE.
· Expanded diversity report to BoR 7-02
· 04-05 Biennial budget Indian Education for All initiative
4) Collect all-campus data on diversity trainings, requirements, and incentives.
· Deputy working w Research Office + campuses to standardize data, collection and reporting.DONE
· AIMA Advisory Comm met 3/5/02-will pursue data collection by task groups
· Data collected in July 02 Diversity Report, analysis will lead to action plan
5) Continue collecting data on Tribal College MOU.
See item 8 above
6) (Dick) Assure (via performance evaluations) that senior administrators give high priority to diversity concerns.
7) (Dick) Develop core job descriptions for Chair and Regents.
· Submit to Board of Regents for September 2001 meetingDONE