MONTANA BOARD OF REGENTS OF HIGHER EDUCATION
Policy and Procedures Manual
SUBJECT: ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
Policy 3XXX – Grade Point Averages on Transcripts
Students in the Montana University System sometimes take postsecondary coursework at several different institutions to complete the requirements for their degree. Some students want their grade point average to reflect the grades they earned in all of their classes, regardless of where they took them. This policy is intended to honor that reasonable expectation.
1. Each campus of the Montana University System will calculate, and publish, an institutional grade point average on student transcripts. That institutional grade point average will only include the grades earned at that institution.
2. Students may also request, in writing, that a overall grade point average should be included on their transcript. That overall grade point average will only be for informational purposes, and will be clearly identified as such. The overall grade point average will include all of the grades earned in postsecondary classes attempted by the student.
3. The overall, informational grade point average will not replace the institutional grade point average on the transcript.
4. The Montana University System will develop a standardized process for recording transfer classes, credits and grades on student transcripts. An overall grade point average will not be included on the transcript until the institution receives a written request from the student, however; and once that request is received, it cannot be revoked by the student.
A Draft Form
To Request a Transfer Grade Point Average
In addition to the grade point average I have earned in the coursework completed at this institution, I request that a transfer grade point average also be included on my official transcript. I understand that that transfer grade point average:
· will include all of the postsecondary coursework I have attempted, at this institution and all others;
· will not replace the institutional grade point average earned at this campus.
(Please Print Name) Date
(Please Sign Name)