MONTANA BOARD OF REGENTS OF HIGHER EDUCATION
Policy and Procedures Manual
Policy 1003.4 - Capital improvements projects
Effecitve November 18, 1999; Issued December 10, 1999
The following procedures for handling capital improvements at campuses of the Montana University System shall be followed.
1. All proposals for capital improvements requiring architectural and engineering services shall be forwarded to the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education.
2. The selection of architects and/or engineers shall be made as follows:
(A) Projects costing between $25,000 and $100,000:
(1) If the project is estimated to cost between $25,000 and $100,000, the campus shall recommend three firms in priority order to the Commissioner of Higher Education who, if he concurs, shall submit the recommendation to the Director, Department of Administration. Should he not concur he will, in cooperation with the campus president or chancellor, arrive at mutually agreeable recommendations.
(2) If, in the opinion of the Commissioner of Higher Education the project is a unique type that would attract considerable interest among Montana architect/engineers, he will request the Department of Administration to advertise for professional services and interview those firms expressing interest.
Projects costing more than $100,000:
(1) If the project is estimated to cost more than $100,000,modified architect/engineer selection procedures of the State of Montana shall be used with the following additions to the interview process:
(a) the preselection committee shall include a representative from the appropriate campus and a representative of the Commissioner of Higher Education.
(b) The interview team shall consist of the president or chancellor's designees and a representative of the Commissioner of Higher Education. There shall be faculty and student representation on the campus's interview team.
(c) From the firms interviewed three shall be selected and recommended to the Commissioner of Higher Education in priority order by the president or chancellor. If he concurs the commissioner shall, with the consent of the Chairman of the Administrative and Budget Committee, recommend the three to the Director, Department of Administration. Should he not concur he will, in cooperation with the president or chancellor, arrive at mutually agreed recommendations.
3. The campus shall prepare an outline program for each project. This outline will be submitted to the Commissioner of Higher Education at the time recommendations for architectural appointments are made. It shall include: a.) a statement of the scope of the project in sufficient detail to delineate major design requirements and b.) budget limitations.
4. Students shall be represented on campus committees planning specific building projects for each campus.
Item 3-020-R0174, January 14, 1974, as revised July 11, 1977; Item 3-007-R1273, Policy on Building Fees, Montana University System, December 10, 1973, as amended January 16, 1978, January 7, 1980, and November 18, 1999 (Item 104-103-R0999).
Table of Contents or Section 1000 Contents