Proposed Revision to 1003.4 - Capital Improvements Projects
following procedures for handling capital improvements at
units of the Montana
University System shall be followed.
1. All proposals for capital improvements requiring architectural and engineering services shall be forwarded to the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education.
2. The selection of architects and/or engineers shall be made as follows:
(A) Projects costing between $25,000 and $100,000:
(1) If the project is estimated to cost between
$25,000 and $100,000, the
unit shall recommend three firms in priority order
to the Commissioner of Higher Education who, if he concurs, shall submit the
recommendation to the Director, Department of Administration. Should he not concur he will, in cooperation
with the unit president,
arrive at mutually agreeable recommendations.
(2) If, in the opinion of the Commissioner of Higher Education the project is a unique type that would attract considerable interest among Montana architect/engineers, he will request the Department of Administration to advertise for professional services and interview those firms expressing interest.
(B) Projects costing more than $100,000:
(1) If the project is estimated to cost more than $100,000,modified architect/engineer selection procedures of the State of Montana shall be used with the following additions to the interview process:
(a) the preselection committee shall include a
representative from the appropriate
unit and a representative of
the Commissioner of Higher Education.
(b) The interview team shall consist of the
president's designees and a representative of the Commissioner
of Higher Education. There shall be
faculty and student representation on the unit's
(c) From the firms interviewed three shall be
selected and recommended to the Commissioner of Higher Education in priority
order by the president. If he concurs the commissioner shall, with
the consent of the Chairman of the
Capital Construction Committee,
recommend the three to the Director, Department of Administration. Should he not concur he will, in cooperation
with the president, arrive at mutually
unit shall prepare an outline
program for each project. This outline
will be submitted to the Commissioner of Higher Education at the time
recommendations for architectural appointments are made. It shall include: a. a statement of the
scope of the project in sufficient detail to delineate major design
requirements and b. budget limitations.
4. Students shall be represented on
planning specific building projects for each unit.
Item 3-020-R0174, January 14, 1974, as revised July 11, 1977; Item 3-007-R1273, Policy on Building Fees, Montana University System, December 10, 1973, as amended January 16, 1978 and January 7, 1980.