State Authorization of Academic Programs
State of Montana Approval and Licensure Requirements
The State of Montana is currently reviewing its laws and policies related to the authorization of post-secondary institutions and our authorization requirements may change as a result. Institutions that have been approved under the current structure will be notified if authorization requirements change.
The State of Montana has the following applicable approval and licensure requirements:
Regulation of award of degrees – penalty.
(1) No person, corporation, association, or institution shall issue any degree or such similar literary honors as are usually granted by universities or colleges without the prior approval of the regents of the adequacy of the course of study.2
(2) This section does not apply to any educational institution accredited by an educational accrediting association whose accrediting is found by the regents to be generally recognized by state and other universities in the United States.
(3) Violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
For purposes of MCA §20-25-107, the Board of Regents of the Montana University System recognizes the following accrediting agencies:
1. New England Association of Schools and Colleges
2. Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
3. North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
4. Northwest Commission on College and Universities
5. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
6. Western Association of Schools and Colleges
7. Any accrediting agency approved and accepted by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation at http://www.chea.org.
The Board of Regents does not have an independent review process for schools not accredited by one of the above listed agencies. Accreditation by one of the above listed agencies is the exclusive method of recognition by the Board of Regents for purposes of §20-25-107 MCA.
(See Montana University System Board of Regents 221 at: http://www.mus.edu/borpol/bor200/221.pdf)
Pursuant to the laws set forth in Title 35 of the Montana Code Annotated, out-of-state businesses may not transact business in Montana without meeting the registration requirements of the Montana Secretary of State’s Office. This requirement does not apply to public institutions.
Registration forms can be found at: http://sos.mt.gov/Business/Forms/index.asp
Please contact the Business Services Division of the Montana Secretary of State with questions related to this requirement. (406) 444-3665.
Placement of an Out-of-State Nursing Student in a Montana Clinical Practice Setting: The Montana board of nursing has approval authority over the placement of students enrolled in an out-of-state nursing education program to undertake clinical practice in a Montana facility.
Please contact Cynthia Gustafson, Executive Director of the Board of Nursing, for information on complying with this regulation. (406) 841-2380 or email.
Please provide proof of appropriate accreditation to Karin Janssen, Common Course Numbering Program Manager and Academic Policy and Process Analyst, by email. Upon receipt and confirmation of appropriate accreditation, an authorization letter will be issued.