DATE:�������������� March 17 � 18, 2005
TO:������������������ Montana Board of Regents
FROM:������������� Roger Barber, Deputy Commissioner for Academic & Student Affairs
SUBJECT:������� Level I Approvals
Montana State University-Bozeman:
- ITEM 126-2004+R0305:� Montana State University-Bozeman asked permission to eliminate its Department of Entomology, as an academic unit.� Degree offerings will not be changed by the elimination, and the faculty in the Department will be assigned to other departments in the College of Agriculture.� Elimination of the Department should be completed by July 1, 2005.
Montana State University-Billings:
- ITEM 126-2703+R0305:� Montana State University-Billings asked that the name of its new option in Clinical Laboratory Science be changed to Medical Laboratory Science.� The new option is part of the institution�s Bachelor of Science degree program in Biology, and was included in the Level I memorandum that went to the Board of Regents in January 2005.�
Final approval of the program, and this name change, is contingent on the Montana Board of Regents� favorable action on Item 126-2704-R0105, which is part of the action agenda at this meeting.� The requested name is consistent with similar programs in the Montana University System.
- ITEM 126-2704+R0305:� Montana State University-Billings requested permission to deliver its Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration on-line.� Most of the coursework in the degree program is already available, in an on-line format, and the remaining classes will be ready for delivery by Summer Semester 2005.
- ITEM 126-2705+R0305:� Montana State University-Billings College of Technology asked that the name of its Associate of Applied Science degree in Application Development be changed to Computer Application Development.
The University of Montana-Missoula:
- ITEM 126-1004+R0305:� The University of Montana-Missoula asked that the name of its School of Pharmacy and Allied Health be changed to the College of Health Professions and Biomedical Sciences.� It also asked that the following organizational moves and departmental names be part of that change: 1) the Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Department of Pharmacy Practice would be housed in the� Skaggs School of Pharmacy;2) the Department of Social Work would become the School of Social Work; and 3) the Department of Physical Therapy would become the School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science.
The University of Montana-Western:
- ITEM 126-1602+R0305:� The University of Montana-Western requested permission to change the name of the option in Pre-professional Health Sciences, in its Bachelor of Arts degree, to Biological and Biomedical Sciences.