About Montana GEAR UP
Montana GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federal grant that was awarded in September of 2011 to the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education (OCHE) for the State of Montana. The purpose of this federal initiative is to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
Montana GEAR UP provides college and career
readiness services, such as tutoring, financial aid information, enrollment in rigorous academic
courses, comprehensive mentoring, college visits, supplemental curriculum materials, and professional
development for school staff. The program serves these students as they progress through middle and high school.
Beginning in year two of the current grant, Montana GEAR UP will work through postsecondary institutions to support GEAR UP college freshman with their transition to and retention in college. By the end of the grant, more than 8800 students, including 5800 American Indian students, will have participated in the program.
Montana GEAR UP will also provide services at the state level to benefit all Montana schools and students. These include funding the annual Montana School Counselor Association Spring Institute, supporting the Montana College Access Network, support for the Common Core State Standards implementation, and most significantly funding the ACT test for all Montana public high school juniors.
Montana GEAR UP believes that postsecondary education is possible for all Montana students, regardless of economic background. Montana GEAR UP supports schools, students, and their families to increase students’ college and career readiness through academic preparedness, postsecondary planning, and financial aid knowledge so that they may succeed in their education beyond high school.
Goals & Objectives
- GOAL 1: Increase the academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education of GEAR UP students
- Objective 1.1 - Increase student academic performance in mathematics
- Objective 1.2 - Increase student demonstration of academic preparation for college
- GOAL 2: Increase the rate of high school graduation and enrollment in postsecondary education for GEAR UP students
- Objective 2.1 - Increase graduation rates of GEAR UP students from high school
- Objective 2.2 - Increase enrollment rates of GEAR UP students in postsecondary education
- GOAL 3: Increase GEAR UP students’ and their families’ knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, & financing
- Objective 3.1 - Increase student knowledge of available financial aid and the costs and benefits of pursuing postsecondary education
- Objective 3.2 - Increase family knowledge of available financial aid and the costs and benefits of pursuing postsecondary education
Montana GEAR UP 2011 Grant Schools
Arlee, Box Elder, Browning, Eureka/Lincoln County, Hardin, Harlem, Heart Butte, Lame Deer, Libby, Lincoln, Lodge Grass, Pryor/Plenty Coups, Rocky Boy, St. Ignatius, St. Regis, Thompson Falls, Troy, Wolf Point