MUS Honor Scholarship
The MUS Honor Scholarship is a 4-year renewable scholarship, which waives the recipient’s tuition when used at an eligible campus. Its average value at a 4-year Montana campus is $5,000 a year or $20,000 for four years. The Board of Regents intends to offer up to 200 scholarships (contingent upon continued funding of the program) annually. View the MUSHS Fact Sheet.
The scholarship does not cover mandatory or class fees. Students should ask the college for a list of fees that are not covered by the scholarship.
For more information regarding these scholarships, please contact the Scholarship
Department at 1-800-537-7508 or firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT - PLEASE NOTE:
Information regarding scholarships awarded by our office is subject to change based on final budget approvals. Funding for these scholarships is not guaranteed and final approval for scholarship awards may be determined after the application period has ended.
In addition, criteria noted for each scholarship is used as a minimum starting point for consideration, the final number of scholarships may be limited. Meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee selection.
MUS Honor Scholarships may be used at the following campuses:
|U of M - Missoula
Missoula College UM
U of M - Western
Helena College UM
Highlands College of MT Tech
|MSU - Bozeman
MSU - Billings
City College MSU
MSU - Northern
Great Falls College MSU
How are the scholarships awarded?
Students from each high school will be ranked in GPA order. The individual(s) with
the highest GPA will be awarded 30 points, the next highest will be given 29, and
so forth, until all students with at least a 3.4 GPA are ranked. Once the GPA score
has been determined, this score will be added to the student’s ACT or SAT* score (taken
by December 31st of their senior year), whichever is higher, to create a composite score. The students
with the highest composite scores in the state will be offered the MUS Honor Scholarship.
*SAT scores are converted to equivalent ACT scores
UN-WEIGHTED example GPA Ranking For MUSHS Scoring Purposes (GPAs will be rounded to the nearest tenth)
|Name||Original GPA||Rounded GPA||Points|
WEIGHTED example GPA Ranking For MUSHS Scoring Purposes (GPAs will be rounded to the nearest tenth)
|Name||Original GPA||Rounded GPA||Points|
A high school which uses weighted grade point averages must use weighted averages for all students.
Student Eligibility Requirements
To apply students must:
- Must apply the year they graduate from a high school accredited by the Montana Board of Public Education
- Must have been enrolled full-time at a high school accredited by the Montana Board of Public Education for at least three years (any combination of three years but must include senior year)
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.4 at the end of the 7th semester
- Must be on track to meet the Board of Regents Rigorous Core Requirements by graduation
- Must take the ACT or SAT test by December 31 of the student’s senior year (FOR 2021 GRADUATES, THIS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO INCLUDE THE February 6, 2021 TEST DATE)
- Must be a resident of the State of Montana
- Must be accepted by an eligible campus
Applying for the MUS Honor Scholarship is a multi-step process. Students must complete each of the following steps by the deadline for their application to be considered complete:
- Take the ACT or SAT test by December 31 of the student’s senior year (FOR 2021 GRADUATES, THIS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO INCLUDE THE February 6, 2021 TEST DATE)
- Apply to and be accepted by one of the eligible campuses
- Register online at scholarships.mus.edu
- Print application and have counselor sign Page 3
- Mail the application and additional required documents postmarked by March 15th
- Copy of official 7th semester transcript reflecting all classes from freshman through the first semester of senior year and cumulative GPA
- Copy of College Acceptance Letter
- Proof/certification of ACT/SAT score taken by Dec. 31 (print out from ACT/SAT OR listed as part of high school transcript) (FOR 2021 GRADUATES, THIS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO INCLUDE THE February 6, 2021 TEST DATE) *IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR TEST SCORES BACK IN TIME TO MEET THE MAILING DEADLINE, PLEASE INCLUDE A PRINT OUT CONFIRMING THE DATE OF YOUR TEST, AND SEND YOUR SCORES VIA EMAIL ASAP TO email@example.com
- High School counselor’s signature must be included on Page 3 of the application (verifying Rigorous Core and attendance)
This scholarship may be retained for a maximum of 8 semesters. Students must:
- Utilize the scholarship within 9 months after high school graduation;
- Maintain a 3.4 cumulative grade point average (GPA) per academic year;
- Complete a minimum of 30 credits after two semesters, 60 credit hours after four semesters, and 90 credit hours after six semesters;
- Abide by the student conduct code of the home campus; and
- Remain enrolled continuously each fall/spring semester for the life of the scholarship.
Transferring MUS Honor Scholarships
With proper notification, MUS Scholarships may be transferred to other eligible campuses. Please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating which campus you are transferring to and what semester the transfer should take effect.
Scholarship Award Process
- Once awards are announced High School Counselors/Designees will be notified, in addition, ALL recipients of these scholarships will be notified by mail.
- If awarded, each recipient must accept or decline the offered scholarship, please be sure to return the information promptly.