At Northwest Indian College students are determined as having residency status, for tuition, based upon their recognition of tribal identity rather than where they live. We had a similar issue with Canadian Native students, due to our proximity to the border.

Because of the Jay Treaty, we ARE allowed to not only offer students resident tutition, but they also are included in our Indian Student Count which determines federal appropriations to the college. In addition, Jay Treaty students are eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid. I would certainly argue that if they are eligible for one U.S. Department of Education program they should be eligible for another. (See attached)