The Montana University System Faculty Association Representatives (MUSFAR) is organized exclusively for the following purposes: To represent and be the voice of the faculty of the Montana University System (MUS) through their elected Faculty governance leadership (Faculty Senates) for each of the eight campuses within the MUS, to the Montana Board of Regents and the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education on issues that pertain to the academic affairs of the MUS.
We, the faculty association representatives of the Montana University System, in order to improve the organization and define the duties, authority, and the responsibility of MUSFAR adopt these Articles of MUSFAR Organization.
Article I – Name
The name of this organization shall be MUSFAR (Montana University System Faculty Association Representatives)
Article II – Membership
Section 1. All Chairs and Chair-elects of the eight faculty governance associations within the Montana University System shall be eligible for voting membership in MUSFAR (The University of Montana – Missoula, The University of Montana-Helena College of Technology, Montana Tech of The University of Montana, The University of Montana Western, Montana State University-Bozeman, Montana State University-Billings, Montana State University-Northern, Montana State University-Great Falls College of Technology).
Section 2. Voting members, in addition to Section 1, shall be designated as those persons who represent one of the eight faculty governance associations and may be added by a majority of the voting membership from Section 1.
Section 3. Honorary (nonvoting) memberships can be given to other Montana University System faculty by a majority of the voting membership from Section 1.
Article III – Officers
Section 1. The officers of the organization shall be:
- A Chair – Is the Chair of the Faculty Senate from either of the two flagship campuses (The University of Montana – Missoula or Montana State University – Bozeman). The Chair position will rotate on an annual basis from UM-Missoula and MSU-Bozeman.
- A Vice Chair – Is the Chair of the Faculty Senate from one of the six non-flagship campuses within the Montana University System (The University of Montana-Helena College of Technology, Montana Tech of The University of Montana, The University of Montana Western, Montana State University-Billings, Montana State University-Northern, Montana State University-Great Falls College of Technology). The Vice Chair position will rotate on an annual basis from the UM and MSU campuses.
Section 2. The term of office for the Chair and Vice Chair shall be from June 1 to May 31of the following year.
Section 3. Elections for the Vice Chair position shall be held during the May Board of Regents meeting (or soon thereafter but before June 1) of each year.
- Candidates for Vice Chair shall be eligible provided they have met the requirements for that office as stated in Article II of these By-Laws.
- Candidates running for Vice Chair shall be members of MUSFAR at the time of their election and during their term of office.
Section 4. Vacancies of the Chair position shall be filled in the following order; First by annual rotation from the two flagship campuses (Faculty Senate Chair UM-Missoula or MSU Bozeman); secondly, by the next eligible Faculty Senate Chair from the other flagship campus; thirdly, by the Chair-elect (current UM or MSU Faculty Senate Chair-elect). Vacancies of the Vice Chair position shall be elected by the voting MUSFAR membership.
Article IV – Meetings
Section 1. The regular meetings of the voting membership shall be held at each of the regularly scheduled Montana Board of Regents meetings.
Section 2. Special meetings of the organization may be called by the Chair, or by the Vice Chair, or upon the written request of eight voting members of the organization.
Section 3. A quorum shall be a majority of the voting membership.
Article V – Voting
Section 1. A majority of members constitutes a quorum.
Section 2. In the absence of a quorum, no formal action shall be taken except to adjourn the meeting to a subsequent date.
Section 3. Passage of a motion requires a simple majority (i.e., one more than half of the members present).
Section 4. Voting can take place via email.
Article VI – Committees
Section 1. There are no standing committees.
Section 2. Ad hoc committees can be designated by the Chair and the Vice Chair, or by the vote of the majority of members.
Article VII – Impeachment and Removal
Section 1. Officers of the Senate may be removed for failure to perform their responsibilities by an affirmative vote of at least 2/3 of the membership as outlined in the By-Laws.
Section 2. Any member of the organization may initiate impeachment proceedings.
Article VIII – Amendments
Section 1. Amendments to these By-Laws shall be proposed by voting members.
Section 2. A two-thirds majority of the voting members shall be necessary to approve amendments to these By-Laws.
Article IX – Duties of Officers
Section 1. The duties of the Chair shall be to:
- Preside over all regular meetings.
- Call all special meetings.
- Serve as the representative of MUSFAR to Montana Board of Regents and the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education.
- Attend and represent MUSFAR at the Montana Board of Regents meetings.
Section 2. The duties of the Vice Chair shall be to:
- Assume the duties of the Chair in case of the Chair’s absence.
- Assist the Chair in administering the business of MUSFAR.